Press Release Detail
|October 13, 2014||Caitlin Fitzwater|
Six California cultural leaders to explore artistic, cultural, and creative economy exchange with Chinese
A delegation of California arts leaders will travel to China this week as guests of the Ministry of Culture of the People's Republic of China. The delegation will be led by Craig Watson, Director of the California Arts Council, a state agency, and includes the cultural leadership of four California cities and the County of Los Angeles. During a ten-day stay, the delegates will visit cultural institutions and performing arts groups in Shanghai, Xi'an, and Beijing.
Members of the California arts delegation include:
- State of California: Craig Watson, Director, California Arts Council
- County of Los Angeles: Laura Zucker, Director, Los Angeles County Arts Commission
- City of San Diego: Dana Springs, Executive Director, San Diego Commission for Arts and Culture
- City of San Francisco: Tom DeCaigny, Executive Director, San Francisco Arts Commission
- City of San Jose: Kerry Adams Hapner, Director, San Jose Department of Cultural Affairs
- City of Santa Monica: Jessica Cusick, Executive Director, Santa Monica Cultural Affairs Division
During the trip, the California Arts Council will focus on enhancing cooperation on artistic, cultural, and creative economy affairs and exchange between California and China.
"Intellectual, cultural, and artistic trade are an integral part of California's relationship with China," said Craig Watson, Director of the California Arts Council. "Culture is one of California's greatest exports. This visit will further strengthen our mutual arts and culture exchange with China and reveal possibilities for growth in the future."
This exchange builds on the close ties California has established with China in recent years, including the Governor's Trade and Investment Mission to China, the opening of the California-China Office of Trade and Investment in Shanghai, a meeting with China's President Xi Jinping and a climate change agreement with China's National Development and Reform Commission.
# # #
The Mission of the California Arts Council, a state agency, is to advance California through the arts and creativity. Members of the California Arts Council include: Chair Wylie Aitken, Vice Chair Susan Steinhauser, Michael Alexander, Christopher Coppola, Kathleen Gallegos, Jaime Galli, Donn K. Harris, Charmaine Jefferson, Nashormeh Lindo, William Turner, and Rosalind Wyman. Learn more at www.arts.ca.gov.