Sponsors and Prizes for the 2010 California Poetry Out Loud State Finals
The California Arts Council -- the lead organizer and sponsor of the state's Poetry Out Loud program -- acknowledges the dedication and support from the following sponsoring organizations and the prizes for the competitors. California's Poetry Out Loud program directly affects 40,000 students throughout California, and indirectly impacts the entire state through re-broadcasts, education, and other interactions through California communities.
- $100 Target gift card for the 1st place winner
- $75 Target gift card for the 2nd place winner
- $50 Target gift card for the 3rd place winner
- $25 Target gift cards for the 24 finalists
- Pre-competition dinner reception for county winners and guests. Hotel rooms for the 27 county winners and judges.
National Endowment for the Arts
Each winner at the state level will receive $200 and an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington. D.C. to compete for the national championship. The state winner's school will receive a $500 stipend for the purchase of poetry books. A runner-up in each state will receive $100, with $200 for his or her school library. The NEA awards $50,000 total in scholarships and school stipends at the National Finals for the winners.
California Arts Council
- Travel stipend to compete in the State Competition in Sacramento
- Art bags
- Books: Sometimes in the Open: Poems from California's Poets Laureate, Sacramento Poetry Center Press, editor Bob Stanley, 2009.
- Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama (10th Edition) by X.J. Kennedy and Dana Gioia
- Poet T-shirts
California Poets in the Schools
California Poets in the Schools' 45th Anniversary Statewide Poetry Anthology: What the World Hears
The California Arts Council would like to also acknowledge the California State Senate and its staff for hosting the state finals in the Senate Chamber and recording the event for transmission; the California Channel for their consistent support and broadcasting of the California Poetry Out Loud state finals since the program's inception, and the hundreds of parents, teachers, arts educators, coaches, poets and supporters who make this program possible.
To the Students, from the Poets whose poetry you chose to recite today: Poems in your hearts forever.