Californians Receive "Challenge America Fast Track" Grants from the NEA
Seventeen $10,000 grants for small and mid-sized California organizations for arts outreach
The National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) gave some California arts organization a reason to toast the holidays this week when they announced the "Challenge America Fast Track" grants. Seventeen of the grantees are from California, and the organizations will receive $10,000 each to extend the reach of the arts to underserved audiences.
"Taken together, these Challenge America Fast-Track grants provide an extraordinary sampling of the work that arts organizations do to reach underserved communities," said Rocco Landesman, Chairman of the NEA. "With these grants, we are helping to ensure that art works for all Americans." SEE PRESS RELEASE
Challenge America Fast-Track grants are all $10,000 and receive expedited application review. Organizations are notified approximately six months after they apply with the possibility to start a project shortly after notification.
For smaller organizations that operate on compressed timeframes, having an expedited review (in addition to competing for grant dollars with organizations of similar size) enhances their access to federal funding. The NEA announced a total of 162 Challenge America grants totaling $1,620,000 to be awarded to organizations in 46 states, plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. SEE FULL LIST
The California arts organization are noted below.
- 3rd I South Asian Independent Film (a.k.a. 3rd i Films), San Francisco
- API Cultural Center (a.k.a. Oakland Asian Cultural Center), Oakland
- Classics for Kids, Inc., San Diego
- Community Partners (a.k.a. LA Commons), Los Angeles
- Eth-Noh-Tec Creations, San Francisco
- Grand Vision Foundation, San Pedro
- Lively Arts Foundation, Fresno
- Muckenthaler Cultural Center, Fullerton
- Oakland Interfaith Gospel Choir, Inc., Oakland
- Peninsula Symphony Association, Palos Verdes Peninsula
- Piece by Piece, Los Angeles
- Rhythmic Concepts, Inc., Oakland
- Rhythmix Cultural Works, Alameda
- San Diego Dance Theatre (a.k.a. Jean Isaacs' San Diego Dance Theater), San Diego
- San Jose Multicultural Artists Guild Inc., San Jose
- Shasta County Arts Council, Redding
- Symphonic Jazz Orchestra, Culver City