Things to do for California Arts Day
Californians plan events statewide in late September and October to celebrate the state's creativity
Californians from north to south are preparing for events in the final weeks of September and into October to celebrate California Arts Day and the arts and creativity in the Golden State. Friday October 3 marks the eighth annual event that corresponds with National Arts and Humanities Month. The California Arts Council's California Arts Day website includes a listing of different events in California -- some on the official day of Friday October 3 ... some before ... and some after. For example:
- Artist Jillian Kogan -- the creator of the California Imagination image for this year's Arts Day -- will be on hand on Sunday, September 28, with Inside Out Community Arts in Venice at the 24th Annual Abbott Kinney Festival, working with kids on their own arts projects and handing out California Imagination posters and goodies. A great event in Los Angeles County for families that won't hurt the pocketbook;
- The 12th Annual "Tower of Youth" Festival and North American All Youth Film & Education Day will take place in downtown Sacramento at the Crest Theatre on Friday, October 3, and will be webcast live during the event. Tower of Youth and this highly successful event and program for young filmmakers (under 18) has been a hit for years -- and may very well produce future generations of Academy Award winners;
- The San Bernardino Symphony will have their 80th Annual Gala Dinner on Friday October 3, and then present the opening concert of their 80th season on Saturday, October 4. Maestro Carlo Ponti, Jr. conducts, Carl Maria von Weber's "Oberon Overture," Felix Mendelssohn's "Violin Concerto," featuring internationally known violinist Dmitry Sitkovetsky, and Anton Bruckner's "Symphony No. 1 in c minor," honoring Mr. Frank Plash, winner of Austria's prestigious Bruckner Award and long time patron of the San Bernardino Symphony;
- ARTS Obispo -- the Arts Council of San Luis Obispo County -- will open their gallery space for a digital preview exhibition of their 10th Annual "Open Studios" Art Tours (north and south). The work of close to 300 participating artists will be projected on the walls during this free opening reception on Friday, October 3, and viewers can opt to purchase tickets for the upcoming tours later that month. Meet the artists, see the artwork, plan for the upcoming tours, or come out and be part of the community;
- The City of El Cerrito's Arts and Culture Commission is sponsoring its annual El Cerrito California Arts Day event on October 3 at the new City Hall and Civic Center Plaza. The City Hall Gallery Space will be open to the public with its first exhibit, and there will be entertainment including performances, artist demonstrations, displays and much more. Refreshments will be served and the event is FREE.
These represent a small sample of the California Arts Day events listed in our "What's Happening" page. Come see other events in your area -- and submit your own. Events can either be planned for California Arts Day, or they may be regularly scheduled cultural and creative events with an Arts Day spin. We are especially interested in hearing from arts educators and teaching artists about any California Arts Day plans they have scheduled for classrooms, after-school programs or in community workshops.