Artist Call DetailFUTURE SHOCK!
For National artists
This open-call exhibition asks artists to investigate the relevance of the concept of “future shock”, first introduced by Alvin Toffler in his 1970 book of the same name. Toffler conceptualized “future shock” as the social and psychological inability to process rapid technological and cultural transformation. The aftermath of recent national and global events seems an especially appropriate time to revisit this concept, and to ask ourselves how contemporary collective notions of “future”, change, and time itself might differ from those experienced by Americans scarcely more than a generation ago. If there has been a shift, why, and what might be the reasons? How do you experience the future, and what might “future shock” mean to you?
- There is no application fee
- You may submit up to three images of 2D and/or 3D work
- Performance and video submissions will be considered if they happen to work well in the space
- Please include a brief description (200 words or less) of the meaning behind the work you're submitting, and how it relates to the theme of the show. This does not need to be a professional artist statement, however we may chose to include the description or a paraphrased version alongside your work. If you have any questions about this, please feel free to email
- Submission deadline is midnight on April 15th, 2017
- Artists will be notified of accepted or declined work via email by midnight on April 29th, 2017. PLEASE CHECK YOUR JUNK-MAIL
- Accepted work MUST be dropped off, ready to hang, at WAL Public Market on Thursday, May 4th, between the hours of 5pm and 7pm. If you can't make the drop off time, PLEASE EMAIL prior to arrange another time
- Work that differs in any way from images submitted may be removed from the final show prior to show installation, at which time we may ask you to promptly pick up your work. Likewise, work that does not make the 7pm drop-off time on May 4th may be excluded from the show unless a prior arrangement has been made
- Artwork must be for sale. Artists keep 60% of the final sale price, and please keep in mind that sales tax should be included in your full asking price. If you’re unsure how to price your work for this show, aim for affordability
- We request that all artists be present on opening night of the show, Friday, May 5th, 2017, from 6pm-8pm. If you can’t make it, please notify us in advance via email. WAL Public Market openings are lively and it's not uncommon for media or important members of the Sacramento community to attend openings- we don't want you to miss out!
WAL Public Market is located at 1104 R Street, Sacramento, CA 95811
WAL Public Market
Contact: B. Wilson