Artist Call DetailAfter Nature
For SF Bay Area artists
Theme: There is a rich history of artists working in nature and with scientific research specimens to render animals, insects and plants in all of their diverse splendor. We are also at a point in time where nature is inseparable from human influence–we have entered the geographic footprint and forever changed ecosystems, the landscape and the climate–leaving the nonhuman life of the planet to respond and adapt or perish. This exhibition seeks to explore both a catalog of living things, and also to reflect upon the future of “natural” development in the Anthropocene Epoch, the Age of Humans. The exhibition’s title references both the tradition of still life painting and Jedediah Purdy’s 2015 book “After Nature: Politics for the Anthropocene.”
Juror: Sharon Bliss, Interim Director at Fine Arts Gallery, San Francisco State University
- SF Bay Area artists only (artist must live within 100 miles from San Rafael California)
- Open to all visual arts media. Video must include player, monitor, earphones, etc.; projections are prohibited.
- Size limit: artwork must not exceed 72” by any dimension, including frame and all materials.
- Original artwork only. No giclees or reproductions. Editions are acceptable.
- Submissions must not have previously exhibited in the AWD 1337 Gallery.
- Apply through Call For Entries.org. AWD will not accept hardcopy, email, or disk submissions.
- Please note this exhibition will include one work by Tiffany Bozic and Stephanie Peek, pre-selected by the juror. The juror will select approximately 30 additional artworks from the applications to this call only. All types of compositions and styles, in response to the exhibition theme, will be considered.
- Fri, March 16, 4pm: Entries due via CallForEntry.org. Note: AWD's deadline is 4pm because our office closes. Technically you have until 11:59 Mountain time. We can’t help applicants after 4pm or add applications after the call closes.
- Fri, March 23 or Sat, March 24: Notification by email. Note: you will receive separate emails for invited and not-invited works.
- Sat, April 14, 1pm–4pm: Deliver accepted entries
- Fri, May 11, 5–8pm: Reception and 2nd Friday Art Walk
- Sat, June 2, 10am–2pm: Pick up unsold artwork
Entry Fee: $40 for a maximum of 3 entries. Discount provided for AWD Artist Members.
For details visit:http://www.artworksdowntown.org/exhibits/exhibits/calls-for-entry
Art Works Downtown
San Rafael, CA
Contact: Art Works Downtown