Artist Call DetailCall for Curator Projects
For California artists
Angel’s Gate Cultural Center (AGCC) is currently seeking the professional services of independent curators for contemporary art exhibitions that highlight one or more artists with additional opportunities for public presentation and workshops. This open-call is targeting curators, with unique curatorial perspectives and approaches, who are interested in investigating contemporary culture through a diverse array of artistic practices, aesthetic sensibilities, experimentation, and innovation. Topics that examine new ideas and current developments surrounding notions of community, the marginalized, public social engagement, and outreach are among those encouraged.
Our ideal candidate also possesses a strong understanding of how AGCC’s location within the community, the Port, and the diverse communities that exist within the Port all relate to the rest of Los Angeles. For this reason, proposed projects that include a form of related programming that is interesting, compelling, and inviting to a wide audience is also highly encouraged.
The 3000-square-foot exhibition gallery is one of numerous repurposed spaces within the 1940- era Army barracks in Ft. MacArthur Upper Reservation, located in San Pedro CA. The exhibition budget for the accepted exhibition is $2,000 and curators of accepted proposals will receive a stipend depending on scope of work of ±$1,000. The selected applicant will be responsible for all aspects of the exhibition program; curatorial development, research, design, installation, and care. Staff will be available to assist in the installation and care with the curators help.
Interested parties, if able, are encouraged to visit AGCC or contact us if they have any questions. Click here to see previously featured AGCC shows http://angelsgateart.org/artgalleries/
Proposals must be conceptually rigorous and focus on artists, projects, and themes that are innovative, challenging, and engaging.
- Extra consideration will be given to proposals that clearly demonstrate a unique and creative approach to both curatorial research methods and the exhibition plan, as well as those that present ideas or topics that are not well-represented in the commercial sector.
3601 S. Gaffey St., Box 1 San Pedro CA 90731 310.519.0936 Fax: 310.544.3201 www.angelsgateart.org
- The proposal should include three or more artists.
- Show familiarity with contemporary discourse in art.
- The curator and proposed artists can be of any nationality, but must currently reside in the United States.
- Extra consideration will be given to those in the beginning stages of their curatorial careers.
- We strongly encourage applications that contribute to our ongoing commitment to diversity.
- Professional Curatorial Resume– Submit your most recent resume that includes your curatorial experience, exhibitions and publications history.
- Curatorial Statement–The statement should outline your interest in Angels Gate as an exhibition opportunity and any relevant past experience, and address your curatorial process when developing a concept and related programming. If applying as a team or collective please clarify collaborations and outline roles.
- Examples of Exhibitions, installations, performance that you have curated. Submit up to 5 annotated images of previous work (Image size - up to 5MB each. Image format - jpg or Video. Annotations should include Title, Year, Venue and Brief Description.
- Short synopsis of proposed project– up to 60 words.
- Detailed exhibition proposal that outlines both the background and plan for the exhibition– up to 1000 words.
- Name of all participating artists, accompanied by a short bio for each.
- A completed Budget Worksheet form (see resource list).
- Curator’s CV
- Work samples
ARTIST SELECTION CRITERIA
- Curatorial Excellence: quality and strength of past work as demonstrated in the submitted application materials.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize exhibitions, work with venue staff, address community stakeholders and have experience working with similar institutions in scope and budget range.
APPLICATION DEADLINE & REQUIREMENTS
- Apply for our call by February 28, 2018 to email@example.com.
- Curated shows will begin in August of 2018 and continue through 2019.
- Community workshop on opportunities - January 16, 2018 at 7pm at Angels Gate, Building A
- Curator Selection Process – February 28-March 2018
- Curators Selected and Contacted - April 1, 2018
- Agreements Signed - April 2018
- Development Phase - April 2018 - August 2018, some shows that need further development
will be scheduled for later into 2019.
Angels Gate Cultural Center
San Pedro, CA