Arts Jobs - DetailGuest Curator
San Diego Art Institute
San Diego, CA
San Diego Art Institute is inviting Curators to bring extraordinary ideas and innovation to our Exhibitions Gallery for April-August 2018, and throughout 2019 and 2020. This Contract position will be responsible from concept to implementation and provide oversight and direction from start to finish of each exhibition. The role of Guest Curator requires conceptual vision as well as project management skills to implement and lead the vision to fruition.
Who is SDAI?
SDAI is an 8,000 square foot contemporary art center located in San Diego’s Balboa Park. We showcase work from the Southern California/Baja Norte region and, in so doing, stimulate new experiences by connecting audience with artist and contemporary art-of-the-moment. Current programs focus on rotating six exhibitions annually, an active artist-in-residence program, and a robust program of lectures, workshops, performances, and social events per year, as well as youth arts education and community outreach.
Guest Curator Scope of Duties
- Implements SDAI’s strategic plan goals and objectives in conceiving and developing exhibitions of high quality, importance, and impact;
- Formulates a compelling exhibition program that is conceptually strong, technically feasible, and budget conscious;
- Meets with artists and conducts studio visits, seeking bi-national artists creating new, engaging and unexpected experiences that expand cultural perspective and understanding;
- Identifies and works with artists, specialists and scholars for content development as well as exhibit-related events and programming in all forms of art media and disciplines
- Oversees exhibition design and design production;
- Oversees planning, managing and staging of installations;
- Works with exhibition staff, consultants, vendors, and interns;
- Coordinates cataloguing, archiving, care, and insuring of all objects while they are the responsibility of SDAI, employing best practices stewardship.
- Works with creative team to develop exhibition collateral for didactics and gallery guides
- Contributes to the development of exhibition content for website, press releases, social media, and other marketing applications;
- Helps develop revenue generating opportunities related to exhibition content;
- Supports docent and teaching artist training.
- Demonstrates comparable experience in the planning, design, and implementation of innovative contemporary arts exhibitions and programs.
- Knowledge of regional contemporary arts spaces, galleries, museums, and university programs.
- Involvement in the contemporary art community and key relationships with arts institution leaders, artists, curators, collectors, and grant-making foundations/institutions.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on research, exhibitions, and publications.
- Excellent project management skills, including meticulous attention to detail and ability to keep to tight deadlines while covering a wide-range of activities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas effectively in written and verbal format, and to build and maintain relationships.
- A collaborative and innovative approach.
- Passion, drive, commitment and integrity.
- An interest in and commitment to the mission of SDAI.
Independent contractor fee will be determined by industry standards and a tailored scope of work based on average of 10-20 hours a week during exhibition planning and implementation period. The San Diego Art Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This job description is intended as a guide to the general job responsibilities and is not inclusive of every duty the contractor is expected to perform.
How to Apply
Submit a Curator statement as well as any exhibition proposals, your qualifications (resume/CV) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight PST, January 22, 2018 and include the position title in the subject line.
Thank you for your interest.