Arts Jobs - DetailMarketing Associate
Oakland Museum of CA
The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution's success.
The Marketing Associate works under the supervision of the Marketing Manager to develop and implement marketing strategies that supports the Museum's mission and audience development goals. The position supports the Marketing Manager with the development and execution of the Museum's advertising and social media programs, and lead/support marketing projects as assigned. The Marketing Associate collaborates across all museum Centers to plan, develop, and implement activities to support numerous museum enterprises (admissions/ticketing, Blue Oak café, the OMCA Store, and Event Services), social media accounts (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest), and any other related marketing related needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following reflects OMCA's definition of essential functions for this position, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. OMCA may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Support the Museum's mission, values, vision, and core commitment to the visitor experience, community engagement, and institutional relevancy for the future;
- Contribute to and support the OMCA strategic plan, annual priorities, and institutional initiatives such as diversity advancement;
- Contribute to a positive organizational culture based on mutual respect, a spirit of collegiality, cooperation, and openness to many perspectives;
- Participate in a culture of ongoing learning, collaboration, innovation, creativity, and community engagement.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates with Graphic Design on scheduling and editorial for on-site digital and non-digital signage; manages production and implementation of institutional onsite signage program.
- Assists the Marketing Manager as needed with coordination of the advertisement production schedule and creative development process, such as gathering exhibition assets, supporting image rights negotiations, and collating edits for any necessary sign offs with key stakeholders and project teams.
- Manages casting and production logistics for advertising and institutional campaign commercial shoots and other video projects, often in collaboration with the Marketing Manager, Video Producer, and Digital Communications Specialist.
- Coordinates production of design projects and routes design projects for any necessary sign offs with key stakeholders.
- Leads Event Services and OMCA Store marketing campaigns and projects based on strategies and plans set by the Director of Marketing and the Marketing Manager.
- Works with members of the Marketing and Communications team to maintain production schedules, advertising, collateral, promotions, and other relevant activities to increase Museum attendance and meet earned revenue goals.
- Processes Marketing purchase authorizations and invoices through Anybill accounting system and assist in advertising invoicing, budgeting, and completing supporting paperwork. Performs light clerical work (photocopying, filing, collating) as needed.
- Regularly attends OMCA exhibitions openings and public programs, such as Friday Nights @ OMCA to cover marketing responsibilities for the Department.
Social Media and Content Creation and Coordination
- Assists the Marketing Manager with the planning and implementation of the Museum's social media.
- Manages online discussions by listening to users, reading posts, and responding in a timely manner to user questions, needs, and requests; monitor discussions for inappropriate content/comments and provide timely resolution of issues.
- Develops, project manages and implements rich content initiatives such as audio and video campaigns for social media and online projects, often in collaboration with the Marketing Manager, Video Producer, and Digital Communications Specialist.
- Oversees institutional Photo Drive and manages photography asset building and sourcing projects.
- Coordinates all necessary updates needed for the Museum's social media channels and updates performance reports to be provided to the Marketing manager.
- Writes copy and copy edits for online and on-site audiences; Further, assists in content creation and asset production, scheduling, editorial calendaring for Social Media based on strategy set by Marketing Manager.
- Researches strategies for growing and leveraging the Museum's social media engagement including promotions, contests, and ads.
- Monitors trends in social media and provides that knowledge to the Marketing department.
- Monitors, tracks, and reports on pertinent discussion topics on social media platforms for management team and internal use.
- Develops and executes promotional partnerships, audience development events, and influencer marketing events under the directive of the Marketing Manager, including researching and determining partners, cultivating partner relationships, contract negotiations, and benefit fulfillment.
- Manages and leads communications with talent, coordinates with internal stakeholders and partners, and oversees the internal planning process for marketing events.
- Reaches out to influencers, partners, businesses to explore, pitch, and execute promotional partnerships.
- Supports on-site promotions during OMCA public programs, such as Friday Nights @ OMCA, Days of the Dead Community Celebration, Lunar New Year, Ziggurat, and others as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A combination of experience and education that demonstrates possession of the necessary knowledge and abilities for this position is required as noted:
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent required
- A.A. or B.A. degree in relevant field preferred
- 2-4 years of related experience required
- Proficiency in English grammar with strong writing skills
- Ability to collect, interpret, and/or analyze data and ROI
- Technical working knowledge of social media sites
- Knowledge of social media marketing best practices
- Knowledge of audience development trends and strategies
- English, fluent in both spoken and written form
- Proficiency in computer systems, specifically MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficiency in Adobe CS (Photoshop)
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Noise, such as groups of people working in enclosed areas
- Ability to work early mornings, nights and weekends as needed
- Typical office environment
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
The Oakland Museum of California is a multicultural organization, committed to diversity and practicing equal opportunity employment in recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for open positions.