Arts Jobs - DetailJunior Publicist
Center Theatre Group
Los Angeles, CA
POSITION TITLE: Junior Publicist
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO:Head of Publicity
WORK SCHEDULE:(Full time/Part time) Full Time
COMPENSATION: (Hourly/Salary) Salary commensurate with experience
ABOUT THE COMPANY
We entertain. We create. We engage. We inspire. As one of the nation’s most influential nonprofit theatre companies, Center Theatre Group provides the broadest range of theatrical entertainment in the country at the Ahmanson Theatre, Mark Taper Forum, and Kirk Douglas Theatre. Whether it’s producing new work through our robust artistic development programs or engaging people of all ages across Los Angeles through our community and education programs, we put theatre at the center of it all.
The 180+ full- and part-time staff members who make all this possible are passionate about this place and their work. Whether it’s pre-show gatherings and Staff Nights at our theatres, meet-and-greets with cast and crew, or our annual holiday party, our staff is engaged with the art and one another. Center Theatre Group commits to creating a safe space where the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion permeate all levels and all aspects of our work. We aim to attract, nurture and retain staff in a supportive home where we can be our best selves. We celebrate our commonalities and embrace our differences in order to ensure that everyone has access to our work onstage, behind the scenes, and in the community.
Junior publicists work directly under Center Theatre Group’s Head of Publicity and closely with playwrights, directors, actors as well as other theatre artists, producers and arts administrators on all of the earned media including, but not limited to PR in print, online, and broadcast and appearances by staff and associated artists. The junior publicist is responsible for assisting in the promotion of Center Theatre Group as an institution, its three venues (Ahmanson Theatre, Mark Taper Forum, Kirk Douglas Theatre), and its nonprofit mission’s core components: artistic development, community and audience engagement, institutional advancement, and more.
- Develop pitches and coordinate positive stories in the media about Center Theatre Group, its productions, programs, departments and other aspects of the company’s work.
- Write and disseminate press releases, listing announcements, press kit materials, calendars of events, press invitations, etc.
- Serve as a liaison with tour press/marketing representatives.
- Schedule and facilitate production photography, publicity photography and video calls. Caption, edit and disseminate photos and videos. Secure necessary approvals when necessary.
- Plan and implement press component of opening nights including inviting, seating and greeting up to 200 members of the media; provide reviewers with necessary background materials as well as photo and video assets; arrange photographic coverage and video capture of the event; work with society editors and columnists on event coverage; caption and disseminate photos.
- Create and coordinate media events.
- Respond in a timely fashion to numerous requests for information, photographs, etc., from the media, staff members and the general public.
- Maintain strong integrity, ethics, and credibility in all communications activities.
- Upload content to Center Theatre Group’s website and other designated websites.
- Actively monitor all relevant news outlets and engage with media, ensuring Center Theatre Group’s involvement in current trend articles, in order to establish and reinforce the company’s reputation as a leader in the field.
- Establish, cultivate and shepherd relationships with all local, regional and national media outlets, in both traditional and digital media. Continually seek out new outlets and opportunities.
- Work closely with other members of the Communications department to help in Center Theatre Group’s social media strategy, including exploring opportunities to engage prominent digital influencers (bloggers, etc.) in promotion of Center Theatre Group and all affiliated activities.
- Other duties as they arise. Center Theatre Group provides a dynamic working environment in which duties and responsibilities may change. Employees are expected to be flexible and responsive to changes in the scope of their duties.
A. Knowledge and Essential Skills
- Must have exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Must have a strong command of the English language: speaking, writing, grammar, spelling, proofreading skills, etc.
- Must be extremely well organized, understand the importance of following through on projects, and have the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be capable of handling a variety of day-to-day tasks concurrently.
- Must have the ability to interact positively and effectively with employees at all levels within the organization, as well as with the media, artists, vendors and the public.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Filemaker Pro and be generally computer and internet literate.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work evening and weekends as needed.
B. Education, Experience and Licensing
- Required: Bachelor's degree (minimum)
- Required: Two (2+) years of experience in the field including demonstrated pitching experience.
- Required: Demonstrated experience in strategic media and communications, as well as experience with media relations, preferably those outlets focused on arts and entertainment.
- Required: Drivers license and clean driving record
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CTG also offers a comprehensive benefits package including retirement plan options; escalating vacation, paid sick, personal days and holidays; and health benefits including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, employee assistance program and life and long-term disability insurance.
Sell yourself by writing a cover letter that describes why you’re the best person for this job. Send resume and cover letter along with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include the position title in the subject line of the email. Due to heavy volume of resumes received, emails that do not include the job title in the subject line of the email may not be considered.
In your cover letter, please indicate how you became aware of this position, e.g., name of website, current employee, via another source.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. We will contact qualified candidates to set up interviews.
Center Theatre Group is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, color, ancestry, disability, age, national origin, pregnancy, veteran/military status, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by law. Center Theatre Group will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ord
Address: 601 West Temple Street