Arts Jobs - DetailGallery Shop Manager
Palo Alto Art Center Foundation
Palo Alto, CA
Gallery Shop Manager
Palo Alto, California – Silicon Valley – Part-time
The Gallery Shop Manager is responsible for the Gallery Shop operations at the Palo Alto Art Center. The Gallery Shop is a unique retail operation focused on gifts, wearable art and jewelry from artists from throughout the region. The Palo Alto Art Center Foundation oversees the shop. The Gallery Shop Manager is responsible for creating a new vision for the shop, and supporting that vision with the buying and merchandising of products in line with the mission of the Palo Alto Art Center and the interests of our buying public. Positioned in the front lobby of the Art Center, the Gallery Shop is the first part of the Art Center that the public experiences, and therefore must offer engaging visual merchandise and exceptional customer service.
Gallery Shop Management
- Hands on store sales and store management
- Develop and implement a merchandise mix with the purpose of improving selection by generating new product ideas and seeking out new artists for the shop
- Establish strong artist and vendor relationships.
- Maintain organized product files (proposals, contracts/agreements, quotes, performance reports, etc.).
- Place orders and receive merchandise, as necessary, in retail management system, after verifying quantity and quality of new stock.
- Coordinate all artists payments for consignment merchandise.
- Train, schedule, and supervise volunteer sales floor ambassadors.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications with commitment to customer service.
- Experience working with designers and artists is strongly recommended. Museum or art related experience a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully as part of a team. Works cooperatively with Art Center staff and volunteers.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and an overall willingness to learn new applications. Knowledge of Quickbooks, POS systems, website maintenance tools, and social media a plus.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Minimum two years store/retail management experience with a track record of excellent supervisory, communication, and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of industry standards for invoicing, inventory procedures, and sales transactions required.
- Experience managing budgets.
About the Palo Alto Art Center Foundation (PAACF)
The Palo Alto Art Center Foundation expands the reach and impact of the Palo Alto Art Center through fundraising and advocacy. PAACF staff includes a Major Gifts Director, a Development Coordinator and a part-time Gallery Shop Manager, in addition to a contract grant writer and additional contract staff (as needed). PAACF offices are housed at the Palo Alto Art Center, a vibrant community arts organization that serves more than 100,000 people annually.
This position is a 20-hour-a-week, non-exempt position with the possibility of overtime for events. Schedule is flexible, but will include some weekday afternoons, additional days and times as needed.
Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com