Arts Jobs - DetailArtistic Director
The Broad Stage
Santa Monica, CA
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Artistic Director is a senior staff member whose primary responsibility is to develop and implement the overall artistic vision of The Broad Stage Season. In collaboration with the Executive Director, the Artistic Director has ultimate oversight of the robust, high-quality programming that is to be presented on The Broad Stage main stage and The Edye Second Stage.
- Researches, selects and recommends shows to present as a comprehensive plan to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors for their input on the upcoming season.
- Supervises the preparation of all production associated budgets and monitors and controls production expenses.
- Negotiate fees with individual artists and other organizations.
- Manages Programming staff.
- Attends and reports at Board of Directors quarterly meetings.
- Assists and accompanies the Executive Director on the annual theatre exploration excursions.
- Available to attend all donor and fundraising events and to represent The Broad Stage leadership at performances for which the Executive Director cannot be present.
- Direct, perform and serve as dramaturge at productions, as needed.
- Participates in the development of all educational programming.
- Participate in major fundraising activities to include major donor cultivation, grant writing, appeal campaigns and special events, as needed.
- Participates in promotional activities in support of the theater, to include speaking with the media and communicating with corporate sponsors and community leaders
Required qualifications and skills
- A minimum of five years of direct, successful experience in a leadership position with a professional non-profit Performance Arts organization
- A creative sense for identifying exceptionally interesting and diverse local, national and international performing artists that are culturally valuable and will appeal to The Broad Stage current constituents and attract new communities.
- Passion for working in the Performing Arts.
- Ability to build and nurture trusting working relationships with a diverse group of artists, volunteers, funders, board of directors and peers in the arts community.
- Must be extremely well-organized and able to delegate authority effectively.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills; comfort using technology for communications.
- Strong negotiation and problem-solving skills, adaptability and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work independently, motivate and lead others, and collaborate and work effectively as a member of a team.
- Able to work within a timeline; punctual and extremely reliable.
- Possesses a willingness to approach difficult situations in a non-judgmental manner and enjoys challenging work in a dynamic environment.
- Self-motivated, high energy, positive attitude and enthusiastic.
- Excellent communication, conversational and writing skills.
- Ability and desire to work a non-traditional work schedule that includes evenings and weekends as well as varying shifts.
- Extensive travel may be required.
To apply, please email resume, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please include Artistic Director in the subject line.