Arts Jobs - DetailAssistant Preparator
Museum of Contemporary Art Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA
POSITION: ASSISTANT ART PREPARATOR
PART-TIME, ON-CALL NON-EXEMPT (10 - 30 hours/week, for 2 – 4 weeks, every 2 – 3 months)
REPORTS TO: Head Preparator and Exhibition Manager
Overview Under the direction of Head Preparator, install, maintain, and de-install all exhibitions in the galleries and maintain workshop and gallery facilities.
- Some background in art handling, packing, and crating, carpentry and fabrication, ability to use common power and hand tools, and exhibition preparation experience preferred.
- Physical agility and manual dexterity are necessary for handling art objects. Must have the ability to lift and move heavy objects up to 70 lbs. Standing or walking may occur for long periods of time. Work environment also involves exposure to potentially dangerous situations that require following safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse staff, board members, supporters, and community in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to address fast changing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends as required.
- Help smoothly implement an install and de-install schedule according to specific exhibition needs.
- Work together with Head Preparator to implement shipping and pick up/drop off of work.
- Assist Head Preparator in exhibition installations and de-installations: constructs exhibition cases, mounts, pedestals, and other exhibition furniture; constructs temporary walls; patch, paint, and remodel gallery interior; mat and frame, install, remove, retrieve, and transport artwork; arrange and replace lighting fixtures; install and remove wall labels and signage; arrange security cameras; fabricate specialized shipping crates; wrap, pack, move and ship outgoing artwork; and other installation and de-installation related duties as needed.
- As needed, communicate with artists/lenders and facilitate installation-based needs.
- Track installation-related expenses, code receipts accordingly, and deliver to Associate Curator.
- Maintain workshop, tools, and gallery facility; keep facility clean and make repairs as needed.
- Assist other staff members with setup and takedown of special events, and monitor integrity of space during some special events.
- Perform other preparatory related tasks as needed.
Compensation starts at $16/hr.
To apply, please email a resume, cover letter, and two references with the subject line “Assistant Preparator” to hello at mcasantabarbara dot org.
About Museum of Contemporary Art Santa Barbara The Museum of Contemporary Art Santa Barbara is a non-profit, non-collecting art museum that advances creativity and inspires critical thinking through meaning engagement with the art of our time. Celebrating its 37th year in 2013, The Museum of Contemporary Art Santa Barbara is the premier venue for contemporary art between Los Angeles and San Francisco. Museum of Contemporary Art Santa Barbara provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Museum of Contemporary Art Santa Barbara complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.