Arts Jobs - DetailPart Time Assistant Archivist/Registrar
Cantor Arts Center
Part Time Assistant Archivist/Registrar, Term Position
Cantor Arts Center, Stanford University
Start Date: October 1, 2017.
Duration of Position: October 1, 2017 through October 31, 2018.
This position is a temporary position at 20 hours per week. May transition to full time through October 2018.
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
Under the direction of the Project Archivist for the Andy Warhol Photography Collection, organize and perform a range of duties in support of the digitization and cataloging of the Cantor’s archive of Andy Warhol contact sheets and negatives. The collection documents Warhol’s social and professional activities from the mid 1970s through his death in 1987, chronicling life at Studio 54 and other nightclubs, the Factory at 380 Broadway, the downtown art world in New York City, and trips to Europe and China, among others.
- Perform quality control of high-resolution digital images of contact sheets and negatives as they come in from our digitization vendor, uploading and linking them to their records in the museum’s EmbARK collections database.
- Use contact sheets to assist in identifying and cataloging the negatives, and link them together by job number. Enter cataloging information in EmBARK.
- Assist in getting information and images to the curatorial team for a Warhol show opening in the fall of 2018 and accompanying publication.
- Assist in rehousing contact sheets in archival sleeves and boxes.
* Other duties relating to the project as assigned.
Education & Experience:
A four-year college B.A. degree in Art, Art History, or related field required. A Master’s degree in Library Studies (M.L.S.), with a concentration in archival studies or a Master’s degree in Museum Studies desired. Subject knowledge and interest greatly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of professional museum practices including registration methods, object rehousing techniques.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated skill using collection management databases, basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Word and Excel; experience working with Museum electronic databases is strongly desired.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to maintain high level of accuracy and attention to detail is essential, as is the ability to work well under pressure with a wide variety of museum professionals, vendors, researchers, other.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume (PDF format preferred) to:
Project Archivist, Andy Warhol Photography Collection
Addressee:Cantor Arts Center
Address: 328 Lomita Drive, Stanford CA 94305