Arts Jobs - DetailExhibition Design Assistant
Asian Art Museum
San Francisco, CA
Under the supervision of the Exhibition Designer, assists in the development and design of installations and exhibitions. Prepares documents and shop drawings, including specifications for museum fixtures, walls, and partitions. Works with in-house and external designers to integrate graphics, and from time to time, works with outside exhibition designers, artists, and architects. In addition to design-related tasks, performs a variety of duties related to the installation and de-installation of exhibitions.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Works with Exhibition Designer to create and update computer-aided design drawings based on the design plan for all exhibitions, rotations, and special projects.
- Produces scaled floor plans and elevations including layout of walls, casework, and signage.
- Develops architectural plans for outside contractors and shop drawings for in-house production
- Processes object requirements, design specifications and design details with Museum Services and related AAM departments.
- Performs some in-house fabrication for custom designed label fixtures and other exhibit-related furnishings.
- Assists in the organization of appropriate casework and manages the inventory of the stock casework (pedestals, cases, Plexiglas, etc.).
- Assists the Exhibition Designer in the creation of prototypes and materials testing for exhibitions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in graphic design, industrial design, commercial art, architecture, or related field from an accredited college or university and a minimum of two (2) years of experience in the preparation, design, and installation of exhibit displays, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of exhibition and graphic design
- Knowledge of state of the art in the design and construction of museum exhibits
- Knowledge of display and art handing procedures for two- and three-dimensional art objects in a variety of materials, sizes, and weights
- Knowledge of the requirements for visitors with disabilities; security and conservation requirements and practices; safety regulations and procedures related to construction and art installation
- Proficiency with computer aided draft/design programs, specifically Vectorworks
- Knowledge and proficiency in producing construction documents, shop drawings, and details
- Ability to manage project documentation
- Ability to specify designs in drawings, scale models, and written instructions; effectively communicate concepts and requirements of exhibition design; identify and solve problems
- Ability to plan, prioritize, schedule, and implement multiple design projects; demonstrate flexibility and respond to the needs of a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work productively and collaboratively with curators, artists, museum staff, and personnel from other museums in the design and installation of exhibitions
- Ability to lift and move heavy objects up to 50 pounds as required
$25.88 - $31.09 per hour* with benefits package.
*Please note: New hires start at the beginning of the salary range and this position is represented by SEIU 1021.
Apply online at http://asianart.snaphire.com/?job=10498CAC
* The Asian Art Museum is one of the largest museums in the Western world devoted exclusively to Asian art and culture. Home to more than 16,000 works of art from over 40 Asian countries, we strive to be a catalyst for discovery, dialogue, and inspiration. With Asia as our lens and art as our cornerstone, we spark connections across cultures and through time, igniting curiosity, conversation, and creativity.*
The Asian Art Museum embraces diversity in its mission, programs, and staff.