Arts Jobs - DetailCuratorial Exhibitions
Aggregate Space Gallery
Aggregate Space Gallery (ASG) is an independent, artist-run exhibition and performance space in West Oakland dedicated to the exploration and presentation of innovative sculptural and new media works by Bay Area visual artists. We provide extensive in-house resources and expertise that enable artists to create and promote intellectually-engaging and immersive projects. We also provide a public platform for films, lectures, and performances by innovative regional artists and thinkers whose work ignites critical dialogue.
Curatorial Exhibitions Job Description Aggregate Space Gallery (ASG) is currently accepting applications for one non-paid Curatorial Exhibitions Internship position beginning immediately. An internship at ASG offers hands on experience working with the visual arts community of makers and intellectuals in a lively art hub with a gallery space, fabrication shop, projection spaces, and art studios in close proximity to downtown Oakland. Our mission is to make immersive conceptual art experiences accessible to our community. We are dedicated to sculptural and new media video works by Bay Area artists and provide extensive in-house resources and expertise to create and promote engaging, unparalleled projects. The Curatorial Exhibitions Intern will help run the gallery for 5 hours on select Fridays and Saturdays in Oakland for a 9 month commitment. This internship will occur during the Spring and Summer of 2018 (January - October).
This internship will be a good fit for those with a strong desire to engage the art community, be tech savvy, creative, always up to date on local current events, is enthusiastic, self motivated and shows attention to detail. You may be required to work independently, as part of a group, or engage directly with the public. Background or strong interest in nonprofit administration and/or mission-oriented marketing required. Proficiency in using Windows 7/10 and Mac OS operating systems, database systems such as Salesforce, social media outlets; and Adobe Creative Suite programs preferred. The skills acquired in this internship will be applicable to other non-profit art and multimedia professions.
Although this position is unpaid, interns completing 100 hours of work will receive free enrollment in an ASG class of your choice and free attendance to select special events and will be provided the opportunity to curate 1 of the 8 yearly shows at Aggregate Space Gallery, which opens August 18, 2018 and runs through September, 30, 2018.
Duration of Internship: 9 months
- Understand contemporary art
- Attend Openings, First Friday events, Second Saturday Artist talks and be ready to help
- Turn the exhibition off and on
- Converse with public enthusiastically about the work
- Meet with exhibiting artists
- Works with others to keep database up to date
- Author and edit exhibition materials for Mailchimp, social media, and press outreach
- Prepare major press outreach to promote exhibitions and special events
Consistent Social Media messaging
- Post the exhibitions and events on event websites
- Minor cleaning and vacuuming before events
- Open and close gallery on agreed upon times, usually 12:30-5:15pm
- Setup the bar and keep it organized before and after event
- Manage the bar during the event
- Encourage donations
- Count visitors to ensure we aren’t over capacity
- Check bathroom and perimeter of building periodically for things that need attention
- Congenial, acting as a representative of the institution
- A background in art and/or art history with two years minimum of an undergraduate degree
- MFA, MA or VCS in Fine Arts, curatorial studies and visual critical studies is a plus
- Desire to work with the public and learn the ins and outs of nonprofit management
- Experience with both Mac OSX and Windows 10 operating systems
- Basic knowledge of Mailchimp and Google Apps.
- Photoshop/Illustrator for assistance in designing signage
- Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign for designing and producing web optimized graphics and basic HTML
- Social media sites experience (Vimeo, Facebook, Flickr)
- Photography, videography, graphic and web design skills are a huge plus
- A sincere interest in and/or experience working with nonprofit art organizations
- Good verbal communication skills
- Flexible availability, with at least 4 hours/week on Fridays and Saturdays. Some evening hours are required to cover events and gallery openings.
- Cover letter detailing why you want this internship
- Resume (please include computer experience, including what applications you are experienced with) Please email all materials with “Curatorial Exhibitions Internship” in the subject line to Interviews are by appointment only with selected candidates.
No phone calls, please.