Arts Jobs - DetailLead Preparator
Minnesota Street Project
San Francisco, CA
Minnesota Street Project is seeking a full-time lead preparator with expert customer service, art handling and transportation, and packaging skills to join our team of arts professionals.
Minnesota Street Project Art Services provides a comprehensive, concierge-based art collection management service to private collectors, galleries, and institutions. Adhering to the best art handling practices, we document, inventory, store, and present artwork in conformance with museum standards, working with an extensive network of affiliated providers to crate, ship, conserve, and appraise client artworks. Our 50,000 ft2 storage facility features state-of the art environmental-control, security, and fire safety systems, as well as an attractive and comfortable viewing room and photography facility.
- Enthusiastically and diplomatically leads the art handlers in the field; exhibits a friendly and approachable demeanor with clients and acts as a positive ambassador for the overall Project.
- Handles and installs artwork at private offices and residences, as well as in our viewing rooms and galleries; professionally secures and transports artwork, all in accordance with museum standards.
- Assists the registration department with barcoding and condition reports; expertly stores and tracks artwork in our warehouse, as well as our vehicles, in accordance with museum standards.
- Anticipates shipments and takes all necessary steps to streamline the incoming and outgoing processes.
- Ensures strong communication is facilitated and that deadlines are continually met.
- Attends weekly department meetings, as well as occasional programming events at 1275 Minnesota Street.
- Keeps warehouse consistently clean and useable, bringing a proactive approach.
- Inventories supplies and administers reuse/recycling policies and performs other related duties as required.
- BA in Visual Arts, Humanities, Art History or equivalent required; MA preferred.
- Minimum 3 years experience in a museum, gallery or art shipping organization; demonstrated expertise in art handling techniques and storing protocols.
- Art transportation and shipping knowledge; ability to drive a 16 – 24’ box truck.
- Experienced operating warehouse equipment (VRCs, forklifts, scissor lifts, and pallet jacks) a plus.
- Ability to quickly identify and resolve problems, ensuring projects stay on schedule.
- Demonstrated concern for detail, accuracy and precise execution of work; excellent communication skills, both verbally and written.
- Works well independently and in a team; gracefully shifts between warehouse, client and office settings.
- Valid CA license and willingness to deliver and install artwork on a moment’s notice.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and safely cart artwork within a ½ block.
- Proficient with PC and Mac operating systems, including Adobe and Microsoft Suites and FilemakerPro.
Please email a single PDF that includes a cover letter, resume, and hourly requirements with the subject line Lead_Preparator_LAST NAME to email@example.com. No calls, please.
We will respond only to applicants we intend to interview. Thanks for your interest in Minnesota Street Project Art Services.