Arts Jobs - DetailExecutive Assistant to the Chief Curator
The Museum of Contemporary Art
Los Angeles, CA
The Executive Assistant to the Chief Curator provides varied and complex administrative and curatorial support to the Chief Curator. Responsibilities include drafting correspondence, screening calls and visitors, coordinating travel arrangements, maintaining daily schedule and calendar, sorting and screening mail and email, organizing files and databases, performing some research, responding to inquiries, and serving as liaison to other museum departments, museums, galleries, collectors, artists, and trustees.
Minimum of three years' executive or curatorial assistant experience with excellent organizational and communication skills, and ability to handle multiple assignments required. Must have proficiency in Word, Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint, familiarity with The Museum System (TMS) is helpful. Must have excellent writing skills, with ability to compose and edit correspondence. Must have strong interpersonal skills with ability to exercise tact and diplomacy. Knowledge of contemporary art required.
- Provide administrative support to the Chief Curator including, faxing, scanning, producing power points, and photocopying.
- Draft correspondence for the Chief Curator’s signature.
- Schedule and assist in the coordination of meetings, lunches, lectures and other events for the Chief Curator.
- Create, organize, and maintain files and databases for Chief Curator’s exhibitions, special projects, correspondence, travel, and daily operations.
- Greet and screen visitors. Screen and route incoming and inter-office correspondence including a large volume of telephone calls and emails.
- Respond to inquiries regarding unsolicited artists' materials, exhibition proposals and acquisitions.
- Maintain and order supplies for Chief Curator's office.
- Organize travel arrangements for visitors to the museum (those arriving in conjunction with the Chief Curator’s exhibitions and other projects.)
- Coordinate travel arrangements for the Chief Curator and visiting artists/curators, including confirmation of air and hotel reservations; preparation and distribution of itineraries; submission of per diem check requests and expense reports to the Finance department in a timely manner.
- Handle all aspects of the Chief Curator’s expenses including submitting expenses for reimbursement, processing invoices received, and reconciling credit card statements. Review budgets that pertain to Chief Curator’s exhibitions, travel, etc.
- Assist with preparation of Acquisitions Reports for works being considered for the Permanent Collection; copy and deliver to Registrar; assist donors and galleries with questions and follow-up, as needed.
- Handle any issues with procuring digital images for lectures, Development, and Public Affairs.
- Act as liaison with other departments such as Administration, Registration, Exhibition Production, Communications, Development, Publications, and Finance to facilitate the museum’s exhibition programming.
- Organize exhibition documentation with photographer within designated budget.
- Send out catalogues and other supporting materials to exhibition artists and lenders.
- Assist in the organization of events surrounding the opening of exhibitions including the preparation of invitations, invitation lists, and the handling of RSVPs.
- For MOCA originated projects, research contact information and the location of artwork. Prepare and send out loan forms for works in the exhibition, and follow up on these requests.
- For MOCA originated projects that travel to other venues, assist in the preparation of exhibition materials for borrowing institution including, but not limited to, checklist of the exhibition; visuals; catalogues; wall labels; wall text; gallery guide; any other supporting didactic materials. For non-MOCA originated exhibitions, coordinate and process lending venue’s checklist of the exhibition; visuals; catalogues; wall labels; wall text; gallery guide; any other supporting didactic materials. Provide continuing follow-up to fulfill contractual obligations.
- Assist in the hiring of additional support staff for the Chief Curator, such as interns and research assistants.
- Assist Chief Curator’s interns and research assistants with issues regarding the exhibition and general MOCA policies.
- Provide general departmental assistance as requested.
- Perform other related duties as required.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent must be able to do the following: sit for extended periods; bend and reach for filing and other job-related functions; climb up and down stairs; bend, stoop, and lift to move and retrieve materials; pull, push, and lift; reach both above and below shoulder height. Specific visual abilities include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to visually inspect work. Manual dexterity to operate computer and other office equipment required. Heavy usage of computers and phones required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position; they do not purport to describe all functions of the position. Employees may be assigned other duties and the essential functions of the position may change or be changed as necessary.
Address: 250 S. Grand Ave.