Arts Jobs - DetailLead Teaching Artist
San Francisco, CA
THREE PART-TIME CONTRACT SUMMER TEACHING ARTIST POSITIONS AVAILABLE
Deadline: Monday, June 12, 2017
Southern Exposure seeks three LEAD TEACHING ARTISTS who will facilitate a four-week intensive summer arts program for Mission Voices Summer (MVS).
ABOUT SOEX: Southern Exposure (SoEx) is an artist-centered non-profit organization committed to supporting visual artists. Through our extensive and innovative programming, SoEx strives to experiment, collaborate and further educate while providing an extraordinary resource center and forum for Bay Area and national artists and youth in our Mission District space and off-site, in the public realm.
About Mission Voices Summer (MVS): MVS provides students in the Bay Area ages 14-21 with a visual art space to explore issues relevant to them and their community, exercise leadership skills, and utilize art as a tool for social change. MVS is collaboration between Southern Exposure’s Artist in Education (AIE) program and community-based youth organizations in San Francisco. The program bridges neighborhoods and cultures by pairing local artists with teens and young adults from the Bay Area.
About the Job: Three Lead Teaching Artists, along with three Teaching Artist Assistants, and Southern Exposure’s Artists in Education Program Director will collaborate with and teach approximately 30-45 youth (divided into three groups of 10-15) to produce visual arts projects based on a socially relevant theme. The program runs for 4 weeks: July 10 – August 4, 2017, Monday through Thursday, 2:00 – 5:00 PM. It culminates in a final exhibition in SoEx’s gallery space, on view to the public from August 3 – 12, 2017.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Teaching Artist Assistants, Youth Leaders, and the AIE Program Director to decide upon and select a socially relevant exhibition theme
- Design workshop curriculum
- Attend MVS preparation workshop/meetings, weekly planning sessions and post-project evaluation meetings
- Gather materials and resources for projects
- Lead the daily workshops in collaboration with Teaching Artist Assistants
- Update AIE Program Director about progress, achievements, and challenges
- Prepare project for final exhibition
- A practicing visual artist with experience in community-based art projects including but not limited to: installation, site-specific work, social practices, photography, video, and other forms of visual art
- Teaching experience with youth ages 14-21
- Experience developing arts-based curriculum with an emphasis on collaboration
- Good communication skills and experience working collaboratively
- Spanish and/or Chinese language proficiency a plus
Curriculum: Teaching Artists collaboratively propose a socially relevant theme, develop workshops that address that theme, and produce an exhibition at Southern Exposure. Each lead Teaching Artist is responsible for writing a curriculum for their workshops, including goals and objectives of the lessons, proposed outcomes, skills learned, activities, materials needed, themes covered, field trips, etc.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit work samples and a single PDF attachment that includes the following:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Proposal: Please submit a 1-page proposal that outlines a possible project for Mission Voices Summer with a specific medium focus (photography, videography, sculpture, installation, painting, sound, digital media, printmaking, etc). Include an outline of possible curriculum structure, thematic ideas explored and how the project is to be displayed at Southern Exposure. Please consider past projects at Southern Exposure as examples (through both the Artists in Education and Projects & Exhibitions programs).
- Links to work samples:
- Up to 15 digital images hosted online o No more than five minutes of video hosted online
- Projects and work developed with youth are encouraged!
- Descriptive list explaining each sample
Please submit applications to Maya Gomez at firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of your email should be: Mission Voices Summer, your name.
Position Posting Date: May 17, 2017
Deadline to submit application: Monday, June 12, 2017
Projected start date: June 26, 2017
Compensation: The Lead Teaching Artists will receive $35/hour. This is a contract position, and is not eligible for benefits.
Southern Exposure is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. Persons with diverse backgrounds and experiences are strongly encouraged to apply.