Arts Jobs - DetailLead Preparator
CSUF Grand Central Art Center
Santa Ana, CA
$15-$17 per hour
30 hours per week, partial benefits
apply here: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/csufasc
Working directly with the Chief Curator, visiting Curators and Artists, the Lead Preparator's primary responsibilities are to execute the installation, some building maintenance, shipping, transport art (pick-ups & returns), conservation, and maintaining secure and safe environmental conditions for the art on display, our patrons and team members.
The ideal candidate will have the drive and desire to devote time, energy and enthusiasm towards the success of Grand Central Art Center. GCAC operates with a lean team in which each individual plays a crucial role, working well in a team environment is essential. A hands-on working style, nimbleness and ability to navigate effectively in a complex environment will be key qualities in a candidate. The position provides opportunities for career and creative advancement. Knowledge of contemporary art, gallery/museum practice, socially engaged art and working with artists-in-residence, as well as knowledge of digital technologies used in video and sound installations, are a plus.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
- Design all aspects of installations working with Artists/Curators.
- Detailed knowledge of art handling, materials, installation and shipping techniques, woodshop skills, and cleaning and maintenance methods
- Excellent communication skills with the ability and willingness to interact effectively with others, especially as it pertains to nuances of art and the variety of critical lenses needed to interpret artist visions for installations/projects at GCAC.
- Strong computer skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Create Suite
- Strong interest in contemporary art and participation in its related gallery/museum industry
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience working individually with self-reliance and on-the-job critical thinking, and experience working successfully on a highly collaborative team
- Proficient at managing projects including work and time estimates, tracking of progress, anticipating risk, and adjusting to changing conditions or project scope deviation
- The ability to lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds and ability to work to much of the day on your feet
- Flexibility to work off-shifts/overtime as needed
- Install & de-install exhibitions while meeting deadlines.
- Manage installer(s) during installations & de-installations.
- Coordinates art pick-ups and returns.
- Order supplies needed for exhibitions.
- Wrap/Crate artwork for shipping.
- Maintains woodshop.
- Disposes of unused paint properly.
- Keeps tools in an orderly fashion.
- Misc. building and apartment maintenance as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree or two (2) years of experience in the field.
Prolonged sitting in front of computer. Walking, talking, hearing, pulling, bending, may carry 10-15 pounds of objects/material, not exposed to extreme noise level, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands or arms, stoop, kneel, taste or smell.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at email@example.com.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the ASC. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current ASC employees who apply for the position.
CSU Fullerton Auxiliary Services Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Address: 125 N. Broadway