Arts Jobs - DetailMedia Preparator
Minnesota Street Project Art Services
San Francisco, CA
Minnesota Street Project Art Services provides a comprehensive, concierge-based art collection management service to private collectors, galleries, and institutions. Adhering to the best art handling practices, we document, inventory, store, and present artwork in conformance with museum standards, working with an extensive network of affiliated providers to crate, ship, conserve, and appraise client artworks. Our 50,000 ft2 storage facility features state-of the art environmental-control, security, and fire safety systems, as well as an attractive, comfortable, and flexibly lit viewing room and photography facility. Furthermore, 100% of our profits go to supporting our galleries and artist studios.
We are currently seeking a full-time Media Preparator with expert new media installation and photography skills to join our team of professionals.
- Exhibits a friendly and approachable demeanor, acting as an ambassador for the overall Project when in the field.
- Demonstrates expertise with new media technology, including (but not limited to) the installation of flat screens, projectors, and sound equipment; understands digital media conversions and codec output formats.
- Professionally photographs various artwork for clients; digitally images and uploads photos to our database.
- Assists the Registrar with intake procedures, including barcoding and condition reporting.
- Installs artwork at private residences and offices, as well as in our viewing rooms and galleries, in accordance with museum standards.
- Expertly packages, handles and tracks artwork in our climate and non-climate controlled areas of the warehouse, as well as our vehicles, in accordance with museum standards; fully maximizes storage for clients.
- Anticipates shipments and takes all necessary steps to streamline the incoming and outgoing processes.
- Keeps warehouse consistently clean and useable, bringing a proactive approach.
- Inventories supplies, administers reuse/recycling policies, and performs other related duties as required.
- Ensures strong communication (both verbal and written) is facilitated and that deadlines are continually met.
- Attends weekly department meetings, as well as occasional programming events at 1275 Minnesota Street.
- BA in Visual Arts, Humanities, Art History or equivalent required; MA preferred.
- Minimum 3 years experience in an art shipping organization, museum, or gallery; demonstrated proficiency in art handling techniques and storing protocols.
- Art transportation and shipping knowledge; valid CA driver’s license and ability to drive a 16 – 24’ box truck.
- Experienced operating warehouse equipment (VRCs, forklifts, scissor lifts, and pallet jacks) a plus.
- Ability to quickly identify and resolve problems, ensuring projects stay on schedule in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated concern for detail, accuracy and precise execution of work.
- Works well independently and in a team; gracefully shifts between warehouse, client and office settings.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and safely cart artwork within a ½ block.
- Comfortable with PC and Mac operating systems, including Adobe and Microsoft Suites and FilemakerPro.
Please email a single PDF that includes a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements with the subject line Media Preparator_LAST NAME to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please. We will respond only to applicants we intend to interview. Thank you for your interest in Minnesota Street Project Art Services.