Arts Jobs - DetailExecutive & Advancement Assistant
Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra
Executive & advancement assistant
Department: executive / advancement
Reports to: assistant director of advancement operations
full time position/non-exempt
The position fulfills two critical roles, both requiring impeccable instincts for internal and external customer service: assisting in the management of the executive director’s office and supporting LACO’s dynamic fund-raising team and efforts in individual giving, stewardship and donor communications.
Scope & responsibilities:
As executive assistant, this position assists in the operations of the executive director’s office by coordinating communications and scheduling, handling complex inquiries and issues, serving as the primary contact-point for the administrative office and interacting with board members and VIPs. As advancement assistant, this positions supports the advancement team with primary duties focusing on donor relations, solicitation, stewardship and acknowledgement activities, and the facilitation of day-to-day development operations. This position reports directly to the assistant director of advancement operations, while taking direction from the executive director, and working collaboratively with the full advancement department.
The position is 40 hours a week with some required overtime, evenings and weekends for concert attendance and during heavy events periods. A flexible schedule to attend evening and weekend events is required. Specific responsibilities are as follows:
For the executive director:
- Schedules appointments, manages calendar, coordinates meetings, greets guests, books travel and conference arrangements, produces itineraries, arranges meals and catering;
- Represents the executive director by communicating on behalf of the executive director with board members, donors, and other VIPs; screens calls, responds to external parties, and resolves issues as necessary;
- Interfaces with senior staff to ensure alignment of executive office with day-to-day operations and staff needs, as well as coordinate internal scheduling and availability;
- Prepares meeting agendas and support materials; takes minutes as assigned;
- Drafts correspondence; prepares and proofreads documents; sends gifts, flowers and cards;
- Compiles and processes the executive directors expense reports;
- Transcribes and files voice and written notes; completes data entry for executive director;
- Researches issues and questions; manages special projects, and completes other advancement and general office tasks as needed and assigned.
General office duties:
- Coordinates office supply purchases; assists with photocopying, mailing, errands and filing;
- Maintains and distributes current board, committee and staff rosters and email lists;
- Help maintain administrative office, including answering phones, filing and coordinating calendars and communicating across departments for smooth office operation
- Coordinates with LACO senior staff to prepare, compile and distribute materials for board meetings, coordinate meeting logistics, track attendance and maintain board archive; takes board minutes;
- Assists senior advancement staff in preparing for meetings with prospects, including updating and compiling LACO collateral and preparing donor packets;
- Facilitates donor communications and email solicitations by managing the advancement departments use of its email marketing platform and collaborating with the individual giving & advancement manager and events associate;
- Ensures accurate gift processing by opening and tracking all LACO mail, creating daily donation logs, entering gifts into patron database, updating of contact information, making bank deposits and generating reports for director of finance as needed;
- Assists with the donation acknowledgement process including performing mail merges, managing lists and personalization;
- Works with assistant director of advancement operations to facilitate pledge invoicing and reminders;
- Prepares concert reports to inform prospect managers of donor and prospect attendance;
- Provides on-site support at concert donor lounges, special events, education programs, two major fundraising galas each season and other events as needed;
- Maintains an orderly patron file system including updating of data in the patron database;
- Completes other development and general office tasks as needed and assigned
The ideal candidate will possess the ability to interact effectively and congenially with a wide variety of colleagues and constituents including LACO’s Board of Directors; to think analytically and work independently while handling multiple assignments simultaneously; to shuffle priorities efficiently and assist where needed; to pay close attention to detail; to meet project deadlines consistently; to be an effective collaborator on team projects; to demonstrate proactive thinking to anticipate obstacles and take initiative as challenges and opportunities arise.
- 1-3+ years of experience in an administrative role at an orchestra or arts organization
- Ability to anticipate and support the needs of high-level employees
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines and manage multiple projects at once
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills; ability to adopt executive director’s style
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook required. Familiarity with email marketing required, preferably Emma
- Experience with database management or CRM (Customer Relationship Management) interface preferred; familiarity with Patron Manager or SalesForce preferred
- Scheduling flexibility including evening and weekend hours at concerts and special events required
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Must be able to lift up to 40lbs.
Please email resume, comprehensive cover letter and 1-2 page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line: executive and advancement assistant.
No phone calls, please.