Arts Jobs - DetailDirector of Marketing and Communications
The Contemporary Jewish Museum
San Francisco, CA
The Director of Marketing and Communications reports to the Executive Director, serves on the senior management team, and supervises a staff of six marketing and communications professionals and a team of six front-line visitor services associates. Working closely with the Executive Director and other members of the senior management team, the Director of Marketing and Communications will have the opportunity to play a key role in creating and implementing a multi-year marketing and communications plan designed to achieve The Museum’s goals. This position will play a key role in leading the communications efforts to commemorate ten years in its critically acclaimed Daniel Libeskind designed building.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Planning Develop and lead a comprehensive, multi-year marketing and communications plan to refine and strengthen The Museum’s brand, diversify and expand audience engagement, and strengthen The Museum’s marketing and communications infrastructure and team.
- Staff Management Provide overall leadership to the Marketing and Communications team; motivate, inspire, manage, and develop staff so they are informed and passionate about the mission, and committed to working effectively toward continual process improvement.
- Leadership Function as an organizational leader and highly collaborative member of the senior management team. Hold organizational responsibility for the success of marketing and communications programs and strategies, including brand and website; audience engagement; traditional and digital/social media communications; strategic community and school-based partnerships; design and copy for all print and digital communications and materials, including those for general use, exhibitions, facilities rentals, retail operations, and fundraising; and public and media relations.
- Brand Management Work in partnership with the Executive Director, Chief Curator, and other members of the senior management team to refine and strengthen The Museum’s brand.
- Financial Accountability Work in partnership with the Chief Operating Officer to develop, manage, and maximize marketing and communications resources and budget.
- Comprehensive Campaign Work in close partnership with the Executive Director, Chief Philanthropy Officer, and other members of the senior management team to design messaging and materials for the comprehensive campaign.
- Deep motivation driven by the mission of The Museum; experience working in an art and/or culture history museum strongly preferred
- Strong affinity for, and understanding of, Jewish heritage and culture; familiarity with the Bay Area Jewish community a plus
- Experience directing and driving robust organizational story telling via the moving image
- 7+ years of experience across a broad range of marketing disciplines
- Proven ability to create and successfully execute a multi-strategy, multi-year marketing and communications plan
- Exceptional writing and editing abilities
- Experience managing a multi-faceted brand identity
- Sophisticated visual aesthetic appropriate to an art museum setting
- Proven track record of implementing successful digital marketing programs and campaigns; knowledge of digital best practices and forward trends
- Experience synthesizing internal data and producing analytics across all platforms for executive-level reporting
- Proven ability to use market research to stay abreast of best practices in audience engagement and demographics
- Experience working with nonprofit boards and board committees
- Superb poise and communications, presentation, and public speaking skills
- A track record of successful collaboration with fundraising professionals
- Superb project and budget management skills
- Intellectual depth, moral integrity, creativity and entrepreneurship, and a talent for highly collaborative teamwork
Send cover letter and resume to:
The Contemporary Jewish Museum
Please indicate “Director of Marketing and Communications” in the email subject line
The Contemporary Jewish Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Address: 736 Mission Street