Arts Jobs - DetailMuseum & Visitor Services Coordinator
Museum of Contemporary Art Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA
Under the direction of the Director of Operations (DO), support the administration of visitor services and
Front of House (FOH) operations. Develop and implement policies and procedures to facilitate visitor access of museum SHOP., membership, tickets, and other sales, and promote positive visitor experiences. Under the direction of the CFO, perform data entry tasks such as accounts payable processing, filing, bank deposits, and other financial administrative tasks.
This position is a good fit for someone passionate about customer service and the arts, with an interest in developing customer service programs that increase the quality of engagement with visitors, as well as an interest in arts administration.
- Passion for art and people
- Proven excellence in customer service
- Experience with Quickbooks Online or other financial databases is helpful
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, attention to detail, ability to multi-task
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to follow complex verbal and written directions
- Ability to keep classified information confidential
- Must have the ability to interact effectively with diverse staff, members, supporters, and community in a courteous and professional manner
- Ability to address fast changing priorities and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of MAC OS, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Social Media, and constituent management databases is essential
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends as required
- Develop FOH policies and procedures to establish a consistent and positive visitor experience, including customer service, sales, promotion of programs and events, and other front desk functions.
- Work cooperatively across museum departments to ensure FOH presents accurate information and welcomes visitors in a way aligned with the museum mission and department goals.
- Act as the face of MCASB, behaving professionally and courteously, while expressing enthusiasm for the mission and programs.
- Participate in necessary meetings to ensure communication and smooth operation. Attend staff meetings, monthly Community Engagement Representative (CER) interns meetings, and mandatory training sessions.
- Anticipate, develop, and conduct customer service training for (CERs) and volunteers. Maintain FOH procedures binder for training and reference purposes.
- Support marketing in implementation of visitor surveys, analysis, and reports.
- Sell admissions, merchandise, and memberships, entering appropriate information in the point-of-sale (POS) and inventory systems. Maintain SHOP. shelves and merchandise.
- Provide information to visitors about current and future exhibitions with an accurate understanding of exhibitions, programs, and events.
- Answer miscellaneous visitor questions, and refer visitors to appropriate staff if unable to provide the requested information.
- Assist in maintaining exhibition and building security.
- Delegate FOH tasks and responsibilities to volunteers and CERs.
- Develop and maintain a Daily Operations checklist, delegating appropriate duties to CERs and communicating any needs to Operations Associate.
- Ensure visitor safety and evacuation in case of emergency.
- Open and close museum daily.
- Occasionally provide receptionist services for Museum by answering the phone, transferring calls, and taking messages.
- Responsible for cash handling, reporting systems, and deposits. Process credit card transactions.
- Reconcile POS with cash received at end of day and prepare deposit/collect cash?.
- Manage POS at on-site events such as Curated Cocktails
- Perform data entry tasks such as accounts payable processing, filing, bank deposits, and other financial administrative tasks.
This position requires standing, sitting, walking, speaking, and lifting. Individual will work unsupervised for many hours a week and must be trustworthy and an excellent communicator. This is a coordinator-level position.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to hello at mcasantabarbara dot org, with the subject line “Museum & Visitor Services Coordinator”.
Compensation starts at $15/hr. Benefits for this position include paid sick and vacation time, 11 holidays annually, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and the opportunity to contribute to retirement program after one year’s employment, with matching.
About Museum of Contemporary Art Santa Barbara
Museum of Contemporary Art Santa Barbara (MCASB) is a non-profit, non-collecting art museum that advances creativity and inspires critical thinking through meaning engagement with the art of our time. The
MCASB is the premier venue for contemporary art between Los Angeles and the Bay Area. MCASB is committed to providing superior quality and unparalleled customer service in all aspects of our work. We believe each employee contributes to the success and growth of our organization. MCASB is proud of the professional qualifications of the members of its staff. The ambitious goals and many accomplishments of MCASB are due to a large extent to the commitments, talents, devotion to high standards and effective work of its staff. MCASB takes great pride in its cooperative culture and embraces it as one of our fundamental strengths. MCASB constantly seeks to maintain an atmosphere of open dialogue that promotes interaction and the exchange of ideas among employees. Effective teamwork is one of MCASB's core values.
In addition, MCASB embraces individual thinking and creativity.
MCASB provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. MCASB complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.